Topic : Merlin Rocket National Championships Update

Dear Members, 

In these unprecedented times we are aware that you, our members, have bigger things to worry about than sailing. However, as the weeks pass, we are that sure that many of you are looking ahead to plans you have made for the summer and are wondering how it is going to pan out.

The MROA committee has been meeting remotely to determine the best course of action for the year, and we wanted to reassure our members that we are trying to plan and adapt in this constantly changing environment. We are taking advice from the RYA and being lead by government and Public Health England guidelines. The health and safety of our members is our number one priority.

For now, we plan to go ahead with the National Championships if, and ONLY if, government guidelines permit. Restrictions would need to be eased and ‘lockdown’ would need to be lifted to ensure an inclusive nationals. If these things happen, then we will go ahead with running the event in agreement with our host club, Tenby Sailing Club. We do not want to rush into a decision, but make the right decision at the right time based upon a constantly changing environment.

Please bear with us - we are trying our best for you and we will only run an event if it is appropriate to do so within government guidelines.

If you were, or still are, considering attending the 2020 Merlin Rocket Nationals, we would appreciate you filling in this 2 minute questionnaire to help us gauge interest and numbers.

With many thanks

The MROA Committee.
17th April 2020.

Posted: 17/04/2020 15:30:41
Further update:

The early payment discount is extended until Friday June 12th.

Please fill in the questionnaire if you were thinking of coming. If you're 100% coming if we can go please enter. At this stage please DO NOT pay.

We will sort payment when things are clearer.
In the event that the event has to be cancelled everyone's entry fee will be refunded in full. So if you've already paid, don't worry. 
Any questions please email me. 

Thanks all


Posted: 18/04/2020 08:21:09
By: Chris Martin
Can't figure out the link but I'm planning to come albeit haven't entered yet
Obviously subject to guidance  

Posted: 18/04/2020 10:01:38
By: Logan
The questionnaire link is easy to use on the Championships website

Posted: 18/04/2020 13:00:09
By: Pete
 or even 

Posted: 18/04/2020 13:07:24
By: Pete
Ok will do that

Posted: 18/04/2020 14:50:55
By: Logan
Sadly The fireballs have cancelled their August world champs in Howth Ireland. That along with many other events cancelling casts real doubt on the likelihood of both Salcombe and the Nationals taking place 😢

Posted: 19/04/2020 14:28:05
By: RC 3715
The Fireballs was a World Championships with some competitors having to ship their boats soon to get there in time.  Our champs are UK only so decisions can be made much later.  Salcombe is another matter but we know they are on the case.

Posted: 19/04/2020 17:00:27
By: John Cooper
Whilst its difficult to be positive at the moment this is a fluid situation and things could change.
Thanks to all who have shown intent either by filling out the questionnaire or entering. We will be watching the situation closely, and are intending to make a call on this around June 1st. You'd like to think we'll know a bit more about how the summer is going to pan out by then!

Posted: 19/04/2020 19:07:41
By: Chris Martin

Posted: 22/04/2020 11:56:49
By: MROA Committee
Interestingly the Scorpions and Hornets have just cancelled the same week as us but at Penzance. That has two implications, one same week and possibly the same issues as Merlin Week, two could mean a number of teams looking to borrow a Merlin for the week if by a slim chance we mange to go ahead. Just wonder where we will all be by then with COVID and resumption of sailing two or more person dinghies. Interesting times

Posted: 14/05/2020 12:43:52
By: Barnsie
Of course it's more than can two people sail in the same boat, whether towns want groups of visitors coming to stay from outside is another consideration, the champs is more than just the sailors (straight away 160 people) and MRSW is even more family friendly...

Posted: 14/05/2020 14:36:17
By: Ben 3767
We need some decisions so we can deal with any fallout from accommodation.  The balance is due shortly, don't pay and the event goes ahead we have nowhere to stay, pay and the event is binned...then a very expensive mistake.

Posted: 22/05/2020 12:53:53
By: Jane Wade

Hi Jane,

I hope you're well. We had a committee meeting last night and are waiting for a decision from Tenby SC and further guidance to come from the Welsh Government. 
The questionnaire which was sent round recently has had 61 responses in total. 62% of respondents were happy to wait until the last minute and a further 27% (89% in total) were happy to wait until July before making a call.
We're taking this decision very seriously, and will update you all as soon as we can.
Take care,

Posted: 22/05/2020 15:06:33
By: Chris Kilsby
Hi Chris
does this change the position stated on 19 April above “that we intend to make a call around 1st June”?

Posted: 22/05/2020 21:41:46
By: John Meadowcroft
To be clear.
The MROA Committee met on Thursday 21/05/2020 by Skype /dial in.
The Chair spoke with Commodore Tenby Sailing Club on the 22/05/2020
Following this conservation Chairs understanding is that at this time.
New bookings and opening of accommodation in Wales is not possible until 26th September 2020.
RYA Cymru Wales currently prohibit any water borne activity, access to sailing clubhouses or boat parks.
Tenby harbour remains closed to the launching and recovery of commercial and leisure craft by order of HM Harbourmaster Tenby.
Boat trips to Caldy Island will not take place this year. 
Chair understands that the Welsh Government are reviewing their current situation regarding lockdown on the 28th May 2020 some of the above restrictions may be reviewed at this point. 
Commodore TSC & Chair MROA are to speak again on or before the 1st June at which point a more complete announcement can be made.
I regret that I can say no more at this time and would ask for your continued patience and support. 

Posted: 23/05/2020 00:25:47
By: Martin Smith


To Reply, please join/renew membership.

Owners Association

Developed & Supported by YorkSoft Ltd


Merlin Rocket Owners Association