Membership Consultation prior to submission of resolutions - Proposal to amend the Merlin Rocket Owners’ Association Rules
The Association Rules have been a focus of attention due to the COVID-19 crisis due to principal events and the AGM having to be cancelled in line with our Rules. This prompted a review by the Hon Sec and has led to the following set of resolutions being proposed. The broad aim is to:1. Improve clarity / reduce ambiguity
2. Future-proof the rules
3. Allow for virtual attendance and voting at meetings to provide greater attendance across a cross section of our Association and to reduce the MROA’s carbon footprint.
The amendments have been written by Chris Kilsby with detailed review by numerous members of the committee as well as the RYA legal department.
To enable these rule amendments to be voted through, a ¾ majority is required at the EGM. In advance of these resolutions being submitted, we wanted to give our Members an opportunity to comment on the resolutions. Submission of the resolutions much be before 15th August.
Please can any comments be emailed to [email protected]
ASAP to allow time to consider any amendments prior to the EGM resolution cut-off date of 15th August.
It is hoped that all resolutions can be voted on in a single vote (Resolution 1), and that if this is not successful then each individual Resolution (2-7) can be voted on separately. The following resolutions are to be submitted: • Resolution 1 – Combined vote on Resolution 2 to 7 below
• Resolution 2 - Amendment of Section 2 (Objects) - Minor changes
• Resolution 3 - Amendment of Section 3 (Membership) - Tidying up the voting mechanism, definition of a vote in a general meeting and ballot
• Resolution 4 - Amendment of Section 4 (Management) - To tidy up to show the roles and responsibilities and election process for Officers and Members of the Committee
• Resolution 5 - Amendment of Section 5 (Principal Events) - Minor changes
• Resolution 6 - Amendment of Section 6 (Conduct of Meetings) – Simplification of language and clarity on EGM rules
• Resolution 7 - Amendment of Section 6 (Conduct of Meetings) - Addition of ability for virtual attendance at meetings and electronic voting
I would be delighted to receive your support for these proposed rule changes.
Chris Kilsby Martin Smith
Hon Sec Chair