We, the MROA Committee, have taken feedback from you our members, and reviewed the fleets going forward from this date 9th June 2022.
Let’s go back to where it all began and why.
The fleets were first introduced to encourage greater participation and competition across the whole fleet for members of the MROA. They create battles within battles whilst still all racing as one. Over time the lines and the criteria has got a little blurred and with a number of new people joining the fleet it was time for greater clarity and an update. You see people were moving up, not always down.
So here we are.
A subcommittee, which had representation from across the fleet, set to work and established new criteria using the original principles as the foundations, but as the observant amongst you will notice there is now a Platinum fleet. From this point on for MROA organised events we will race as Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze. For those new to the class, there is still one start line and one set of results, but within the overalls you will also see fleet results.
The platinum fleet has been introduced in recognition of some of the best sailors in the country competing against us on the water. The criteria for all the fleets is as follows, note the fleets are based on the previous five seasons results, so for 2022 this is results between 2017 and 2021 and not just in a Merlin Rocket.
- Consider to be a professional sailor
- Finished top 10 in a national championship (with an entry of more than 60)
- Have finished in the top 5 of any national championship
- Finishes in the top 8 at Salcombe Merlin Rocket Week
- Does not qualify for Platinum
- Has finished between 11- 25 of any National Championships (with an entry of more than 60)
- Has finished between 6-15 of any National Championship (with an entry of less than 60)
- Has finished between 9-30 at Salcombe Merlin week
- Has finished in the top 10 of an Inland Championships
- Automatic promotion if you win Silver Fleet at the National Championships or the overall Silver Tiller (season before)
- Does not qualify for Gold
- Has finished between 26-40 of any National Championships (with an entry of more than 60)
- Has finished between 16-35 of any National Championships (with an entry of less than 60)
- Has finished between 31-70 at Salcombe Merlin week
- Automatic promotion if you win Bronze Fleet at the National Championships or the overall Silver Tiller (season before)
- Does not qualify for Platinum, Gold, or Silver
Your fleet from the 9th June 2022 can be found on the MROA website here - https://www.merlinrocket.co.uk/index.asp?cp=gold-silver-bronze-fleets (not updated yet!)
Please read the rules at the top of the page on the link, and remember that this is here to encourage greater participation and enjoyment, so if you are not happy with where you are or would like to know why (we have an accurate list of results!) please contact Martin Smith (Membership Secretary), and we can advise.
Posted: 10/06/2022 08:33:03
By: Lou Johnson