Topic : performing rights society

Has anybody any expierience of this outfit, they are trying to bang our club £200 for having a television and video which we hardly ever use, always thought if you had a licence that was enough

Posted: 28/03/2008 09:11:47
By: Megan
My advice is tell them to bugger off (ie ignore it).  It is most likely a bluff anyway.

Posted: 28/03/2008 10:01:30
"The Performing Right Society is the collecting society for UK songwriters, composers and music publishers. Its role is to act as an agent for its members in order to collect performing royalties whenever their musical works are performed in public, broadcast or transmitted."

If they reckon your tv is in a public place, i assume they'll try and do you for the money. Where is the TV located?

Their website is

Posted: 28/03/2008 10:21:09
By: ...
Not a bluff - we had the same problem at my golf club many moons ago as the steward liked background music on the radio.  That's a no no.  CDs are the same problem.  She turned the radio off and it was ok.  Buggering off is tempting but not an option.  Mrs Mills/McCartney has to get her £24.7 million somehow.

Posted: 28/03/2008 10:23:29
By: Garry R
Don't forget the Public Lending Right for Authors too. THey deserve their "repeat fees"  as actors do too.

Posted: 28/03/2008 11:23:45
By: .
lordy lordy

the tv is located in the main lounge area but as i say not used much except for watching the odd thrashing scotland give england at rugby

the £200 bill is stirrring my scottish rectitude

Posted: 28/03/2008 11:47:44
By: Megan
I am Afaird it is called a public entertanment licence so even if you have a telly/bands/radio on in the club you must have one a joke I know we nearly / did sort of  get asked to leave the hotel in St Austell for singing at the N12 class dinner because they didn't have one for that night Sad I know as usual with this goverment another tax on fun.


Posted: 28/03/2008 11:53:21
By: James Taylor
At least there is some Government Reference to Fun even if they want to ban it! " In no Act of Parliament is there any reference to fun.".

Posted: 28/03/2008 12:00:49
By: .
It appears that a number of businesses, etc. have been having trouble with this.  The PRS seem to be ramping up their efforts to increase income and, apparently, the law is not clear on the subject.

See link to the Bitish Chambers of Commerce site at

Have you thought about contacting the RYA's legal department for advice before paying?

Posted: 28/03/2008 12:08:18
By: Mike Anslow
Megan, I have dealings with MCPS / PRS and friends who work for them. As far as I know it is only to do with playing CDs or the radio and nothing to do with TV but I'll check for you. Before I ask the question, do you play the radio / CDs at all?

Posted: 28/03/2008 12:09:38
By: William Harris
no we dont play the radio or cdsd its strictly for having a telly and cd player

apparently in 1936 in a case of jennings v stephens entertainment is regarded as public unless its in your home or within domestic circle

there is a big raft of stuff and tariffs re tvs so itsa obviously not just for them, i guess adverts have music for instance

the rya area wee bit non commital in the area as i tried them, i do feel they should be fighting this on behalf of the clubs

Posted: 28/03/2008 12:14:14
By: Megan
Sorry to be pedantic but you said telly and CD player, do you mean telly and DVD player / video. Also what is the name of the exact licence they are asking you to pay for? If you want to call me my direct line in 0207 612 3331

Posted: 28/03/2008 12:26:51
By: William Harris
They (The RYA) cannot even sort out the sailing bit, so I'd doubt their efficacy in the area of Public Entertainment.

Posted: 28/03/2008 12:28:42
By: .
will call

sorry its a dvd player

and the charge is a PRS music licence on the jmc tariff which is for members clubs

Posted: 28/03/2008 13:00:01
By: Megan
Hi Megan - still trying to find out for you. Have you got an email address?

Posted: 28/03/2008 13:56:41
By: William Harris
Simple Fix
Remove the tuner from the tv (or just have a monitor)with a dvd/vidio player, than there is no licence to pay, as you not able to recieve any form of broadcast. You then just have to watch out for playing copyright on films.

Posted: 28/03/2008 14:00:58
By: Davef
OK, I've spoken to a friend who worked for PRS for 10 years. Unfortuantely yes you do officially need a licence which is calculated depending on the size of the venue. A few years ago they went round all hairdressers / gyms etc and made sure they had one. At one point, they tried to get record shops to have one but it was decided that maybe that was one step too far. It looks like they are getting hot on clubs etc so something for others to consider.

Posted: 28/03/2008 15:03:56
By: William Harris
thanks for all your help ho hum think removing the tuner bit will have to be done

Posted: 28/03/2008 15:07:50
By: Megan
What about operating theatres? They play music all the time.

Posted: 28/03/2008 17:55:03
By: .
REM?  Smooth Operator??

Posted: 28/03/2008 20:04:35
By: Puts me to sleep
The last time I was put under it was ro the strains of The Magic Flute, that's what I heards as I slipped under but I understand Surgeons mainly go for Heavy Metal & Rock. (Macho thing to impress the nurses or something.

Posted: 28/03/2008 20:53:29
By: .
Lots of info on the RYA website about this, go into "Knowledge Base" then "Legal" then type performing rights into the search box. This gives the background to the charges and also gives a link to a Sports Council survey that was conducted last year, which was also sent out to all RYA affiliated clubs.

I have a colleague who composes for a hobby and having finally had a piece placed into a TV series he now receives an income from the PRS every time the programme is aired or it's repeated on another channel. Our money doesn't all go to wealthy celebs.

Posted: 28/03/2008 22:35:17
By: Barrie
ok thanks woof woof

Posted: 29/03/2008 07:39:30
By: Megan
Rather than go to the trouble or expense or removing the tuner from the TV we removed (not just unplugged!) the aerial connection and informed the TV licencing authority that the TV was being used only as a monitor (in a domestic environment). They accepted that and there was no TV licence to pay. This still does not address the possibility that you may be "publicly" showing copyrighted and therefore chargeable material on the DVD player! I don't know how willing the TV people are to do this in a less domestic environment (I suspect they didn't want the hassle of pursuing the matter with us) but it's worth a phone call.

Posted: 29/03/2008 09:15:07
By: Richard S
are most sailing clubs not members clubs and therefore you aren't "publicly" showing all thist stuff? or does that not matter anyway? If this is not the case then any club where there are discos, bands etc presumably needs to have a public entertainment license does it not?

Posted: 29/03/2008 09:36:23
By: dangerous
The regulations apply whether or not you're a members' only club.
Another or my hobbies is dancing, and the club has to be licenced to play "recorded music" (irrespective of source - vinyl, tape, CD, mp3).

You do need a licence if the music is played at work - e.g. workers' playtime....

I'm not sure about the licence on the DVDs though - most of the restrictions appear as conditions when you play the DVD. If they were not clearly marked on the outside of the DVD (i.e. before purchase) then they may not be effective - though it would cost a lot more than the licence fee to brief counsel to fight a case.


Posted: 29/03/2008 10:34:08
By: Colin
They get you don't they? No sooner than Dog Licences are abandoned barking is banned except under licence!

Posted: 29/03/2008 11:47:20
By: Megan
r u another megan  as i said  public is only if its not in your home or in your domestic circle

its a shame cos it snice to watch the odd sporting event, going to try to get a discount but beware they are after all of us

Posted: 29/03/2008 16:22:59
By: Megan
Megan - if you are a black and white dog you might get a cheaper licence than your coloured canine chums

Posted: 29/03/2008 16:53:41
By: Garry R
What a winger this Megain is!!!!!

Posted: 30/03/2008 11:40:32
By: Fred
shes comning to salcombe this year , found a dog friendly house so need to start organising a rota for looking after her

and yes she will be coming to loch tummel to cam t wait one of the finest places to sail in the country, if only could match hamish and calum for drinking but will try

Posted: 30/03/2008 19:34:11
By: Megan
Just pay the PRS fee and don't be a tight arse. Anyone would think you were from north of the border.

Posted: 03/04/2008 16:18:58
By: Fred
fred you cut deep but i may be quite careful with money that for sure

Posted: 03/04/2008 18:12:42
By: Megan
Heve you paid your licence yet or have you forgotten the combination to your wallet?

Posted: 08/06/2008 11:00:19
By: Fred


To Reply, please join/renew membership.

Owners Association

Developed & Supported by YorkSoft Ltd


Merlin Rocket Owners Association