Topic : Transom Flaps

Any ideas where I can get 2mm clkear acrylic to cut to shape my transom flaps? Hobbycraft are charging £15 per sheet of A4. Any ideas? Located close to Southampton.

Posted: 30/09/2013 18:42:48
By: James
How about this stuff?  Their ebay shop has other size options.

Posted: 30/09/2013 18:56:09
By: Chris
Try Linnell and bax - they stock the right stuff and now have a shop in/near Southampton.

Posted: 30/09/2013 19:23:14
By: richardt
Thanks i went for the ebay 2mm polycarbonate. Only £18 including postage. Bargain!

Posted: 30/09/2013 20:43:31
By: James
I found the 1.5mm a perfect compromise for stiffness and flexibility but this guy was cheap on all thickness of Polycarbonate and its definitely the best material I have used. See link below for their Ebay page.

Posted: 30/09/2013 21:48:29
By: Brian
have a look at this set up, very simple, no hinges and have worked effectively over the last 4 years without breaking

MR Home / Main Gallery Page / building_and_repairs / rob_holroyd / rob_holroyd_transom_flaps.jpg

Posted: 01/10/2013 08:10:36
By: MR3708
oops link didnt work, but the pic is on MR home page, Pictures, Rob Holroyd

Posted: 01/10/2013 08:11:53
By: MR3708
Most sign makers will have this stuff  and will often give you bits from the off cuts bin sufficient to make flaps and with a choice of colours. Day-glo pink looks good.

Posted: 01/10/2013 08:39:36
By: Edward
Putting the flaps as one piece certainly works - have used this for more than 10 years without problems.  If you do not want to do the artistic cutouts below and above rudder pintle's, you can simply remove the pintle's and them replace over the flap.

Posted: 01/10/2013 14:45:46
By: richardt


To Reply, please join/renew membership.

Owners Association

Developed & Supported by YorkSoft Ltd


Merlin Rocket Owners Association