Topic : A favour please

I have a lady friend (not girlfriend!)who has been separated from her husband for several years. They wish to divorce but haven't agreed the split of his pension pot. Do any of my fellow MR members know a solicitor who is competent to deal with this? If so please email me.

Posted: 04/07/2009 08:03:35
By: Robert Harris
Son Adrian is a barrister who used to do divorce and he will have a name or two .

The old solution used to be wife got the house , hubby kept the pension but I believe the pension pot has become easier to deal with since I retired ( as have most things in my old profession !!! )

Posted: 04/07/2009 08:54:11
By: former whitstable pro
Cripps Harries Hall

Very,very good for this sort of unfortunate scenario.

Posted: 04/07/2009 10:55:58
By: ;-)
Just one thought on the financial side , namely the cash in a pension pot is not worth as much as cash in a current account because the former can only be retrieved tax-free to a limited extent .How much the pension pot is worth will depend on the tax position of the eventual recipient(s) .

Posted: 04/07/2009 15:18:31
By: former whitstable pro
If you google"Chambers guide to solicitors " and search under        " matrimonial" you'll find some helpful assessment of the specialists .

Posted: 04/07/2009 15:26:09
By: former whitstable pro
If she didn't have her own pension or spent many years as a housewife she'd be as well to get a share of his pension to compensate. I did, as the ex reckoned when his was set up that we couldn't afford to pay into two pensions - no, he didn't consider halving the amount paid in to his! 
I also got the house as the consideration is of the "housing need" of each party and he had alternative housing (purchased with his new floozie's divorce settlement).

Posted: 06/07/2009 12:54:21
By: Divorced and happier than ever!
Thanks Whitstable PRO and the others. Might we see WPRO at Salcombe?

Posted: 07/07/2009 08:07:24
By: Robert Harris
Sure will - Adrian too !

Posted: 07/07/2009 09:12:22
By: former whitstable pro
Adrian's colleagues have come up with ;

Parsonage & Co - Twickenham

Russell Cooke & Co - Putney

There are other high profile firms in Central London but your friend might prefer to be left with some assets to share !!

Posted: 08/07/2009 11:37:30
By: former whitstable pro


To Reply, please join/renew membership.

Owners Association

Developed & Supported by YorkSoft Ltd


Merlin Rocket Owners Association