How do I join?
Full membership costs £25 per year, or you can join as an Associate for £15. Associate membership is for those who do not own a boat - you get most benefits, but cannot vote at the AGM.
While crews do not need to be members under the rules, regular crews are encouraged to become Associate members in order to support the association in its activities, from which they benefit.
Print out a membership application form and a standing order form (unless you wish to pay by cheque), and post to the membership secretary (the address is on the forms).
Renewals are due 1st January each year.
Who works on the committee?See everyones names and contact details (including some dodgy photos!)
What does the committee do?
- Furthers the interests of your class (see below)
- Encourages class development at a sensible pace
- Works to maintain residual boat value / prices, and maintain a secondhand boat list
- Organises the National, Inland, and 'Club Sailors' championships
- Coordinates various Open Meetings and the Silver Tiller series
- Publishes event guidelines to help clubs running open meetings
- Runs race training days
- Keeps older boats competing with vintage racing
- Produces this website, which includes a members-only library
- Sends you a bumper magazine 3 times a year
- Publishes a yearbook containing history, rules, details of boats built and members
- Allows anyone to try a merlin for free
- Promotes the use of a handicap (PY) adjustment table for older boats
In more detail...The committee of Merlin Rocket Owners Association is the management team for the membership. Committee members are voted in at the AGM, and the committee elects a Chairman from their number. Under the class rules, the committee is charged with furthering the interests of the class, and governing the affairs of the class. The Merlin Rocket is a National Class, which means that the RYA has ultimate responsibility for the ensuring the class runs within the class rules; any changes to the rules have to be ratified by the RYA. The committee meets about 5 times each year, one of the meetings is an all day affair, called the 'Away Day', at which long term strategy for the class is planned.
'Furthering the interests of the class' is interpreted to mean activities that relate to:
- Promotion of the class to the public with a view to - Growing the membership, Maintaining the strong profile of the class in the sailing press, Working to maintain residual boat values/ prices
- Keeping members informed about the Association?s activities
- Organising events for members
- Arranging the Class presence at the Dinghy Exhibition
- Promoting changes to the class rules that it feels will benefit the current members and help to secure the future of the class. The policy currently being pursued is to avoid any changes to the rules that could be divisive to the membership
'Governing the affairs of the class' is interpreted to mean:
- Organising the requisite General Meetings
- Ensuring that the Association complies with any legal requirements to which it is subject (Auditing, Data Protection etc)
- Setting in place financial strategies that plan for the present and the future, and ensuring that the strategies are followed. Association income is primarily from subscriptions, but is enhanced significantly by revenue from sales of merchandise, advertising in class publications, and sponsorship for the National Championships. The Association plans to break even each year, but by good financial management and cost control over the years there is a healthy balance currently.
MinutesMinutes of the AGM and reports from the 'Away Day' are published in the magazine and website (in the library) for members to read.
Banbury ST M40 jt 12 Closures
|Paul Hollis||05/04/2016 19:09:59 - RichardT||419||2|
Spinny pole 'bumpers'
|John||05/04/2016 16:17:13 -||427||1|
|Peter||05/04/2016 11:01:05 -||355||1|
Free to a good home - 1053
|Terry 3591||03/04/2016 18:38:58 - Terry Bridgewater||523||1|
Cover for sale - narrow boom up
|Alex Jackson||31/03/2016 13:42:18 -||408||1|
|Stu Bithell||30/03/2016 15:17:56 -||545||1|
Chichester ST - this Saturday
|Frances Gifford||29/03/2016 11:49:34 - Ross||684||3|
Salcombe Accommodation next weekend
|Andrew M||27/03/2016 18:28:43 - Andrew Mills||362||1|
2016 Sharp's Doom Bar Merlin Week Salcombe.
|Graham Cranford Smith||24/03/2016 17:04:19 -||1349||1|
Wembley Silver Tiller
|Anthony Rickaby||22/03/2016 19:28:07 -||373||1|
Lifting Rudder for sale
|Second Hand Dood||21/03/2016 13:55:29 - Martin Smith||835||3|
Midland Silver Tiller
|Mike Anslow||18/03/2016 18:04:56 - Mike Anslow||534||2|
|Barnsie||17/03/2016 15:32:13 - dougal||1078||12|
Trent Valley Open Rescheduled
|martin smith||17/03/2016 07:12:19 - Martin Smith||400||1|
Another Merlin Olympic selection
|Dave P||15/03/2016 19:48:57 -||571||1|
The 54th Annual Warming Pan Regatta
|Hamble River Sailing Club||15/03/2016 13:01:28 - Barnsie||973||9|
|Alan3571||14/03/2016 21:44:34 - Stuart Bates||660||7|
Selden Merlin Rocket Nationals Entry NOW OPEN
|Champs Organisers||14/03/2016 16:37:47 -||887||1|
|Martin Smith||13/03/2016 22:43:16 - Martin Smith||437||3|
Ranelagh Open - Kickstarting the Thames Series - Sunday 6th March
|Frances Gifford||10/03/2016 08:53:16 - Chris Rathbone||710||7|
Watercolour Hampton SC
|Ben 3767||09/03/2016 22:39:13 - Tim||532||3|
Midland ST Start Time?
|Traveller||09/03/2016 15:32:43 - Mike Anslow||301||3|
|Dan Alsop||09/03/2016 10:36:31 - Alanj||593||2|
HD Sails for sale - Great Condition! A must have for the new season!
|Caroline Croft||09/03/2016 08:53:50 - Caroline||1029||3|
Midland ST Start Time?
|Traveller||08/03/2016 19:53:05 -||224||1|
2016 PY numbers
|Ross||08/03/2016 18:53:56 - Ross||795||5|
Merlin Rockets at the Dinghy Show
|Keith Callaghan||08/03/2016 17:09:41 - Paul Hollis||654||6|
Hampon SC Painting
replacing control lines
|Alan 3571||08/03/2016 11:24:10 -||394||1|
Merlin Rocket 578 For Sale
|Jonathan Reubin||04/03/2016 19:38:05 -||462||1|
HD Sails Midland Circuit 2016
|Martin Smith||02/03/2016 22:54:53 - Ian Mackenzie||993||5|
Selden Mast Auction 2016
|Frances Gifford||02/03/2016 15:05:32 - Frances Gifford||986||2|
The Lights are Burning
|Luna Rossa||02/03/2016 10:06:25 - Stuart Bates||492||2|
Merlin rocket for sale
|David Fellows||29/02/2016 20:38:18 - neil sixsmith||2081||18|
|Alex||26/02/2016 15:47:52 -||411||1|
Dinghy Show, Selden Nationals
|Frances Gifford||25/02/2016 12:59:57 - Frances Gifford||1023||1|
Plastic Merlin Wanted - £3K ish
|Mo Allen||21/02/2016 11:39:15 - Alistair Glen||1331||7|
|neil parkinson @ firstname.lastname@example.org||16/02/2016 00:51:36 -||439||1|
More media opportunities
|Dougal||14/02/2016 10:48:26 - Chris B||998||7|
Blithfield Barell final round this Sunday
|Martin Smith||10/02/2016 13:30:34 - Martin Smith||498||1|
Sails must go
|Chris Rathbone||08/02/2016 18:53:33 - Chris Rathbone||1288||7|
|neil parkinson||06/02/2016 00:50:51 -||664||1|
Salcombe Silver Tiller 2/3rd April 2016. Online entry form is available.
|Graham Cranford Smith||01/02/2016 15:45:48 -||554||1|
Salcombe Week accommodation
|Alex 3627||30/01/2016 03:21:59 - Alex 3627||709||6|
Dan is leading the pairs race in the Atlantic Challenge
|sophie||26/01/2016 09:40:01 -||680||1|
|Robert Harris||25/01/2016 22:41:09 - .||613||2|
Merlin Week 2017 Date for your diary.
|Graham Cranford Smith||25/01/2016 13:23:36 -||967||1|
Scottish Merlins 2016 (and them oop nooorth)
|Andy 3376||25/01/2016 12:15:12 -||568||1|
Crew available for events
|Joe Tosh||25/01/2016 12:06:21 - Chris M||570||2|
Real Magic 'Live' at the Dinghy Show
|dougal||24/01/2016 19:16:31 - email@example.com||1139||3|
Shroud Length For Winder Tales
|Robin Charles||22/01/2016 18:06:12 - Chris Martin||550||2|
Merlin Week. Salcombe Regatta Week.
|Graham Cranford Smith||20/01/2016 21:30:24 -||1011||1|
|Andy||20/01/2016 15:01:20 - Stuart Bates||2121||5|
|Megan||20/01/2016 09:43:37 - Colin Brockbank||525||1|
|Alan3571||19/01/2016 11:47:21 - Andrew M||805||3|
|Barnsieb14||15/01/2016 11:00:38 - Barniseb14||1278||6|
HD Sails - almost new
|Dave Lee||14/01/2016 18:28:31 - David Lee||1278||3|
Blithfield Barrel Round 2
|Martin Smith||08/01/2016 20:40:16 - FBS||994||3|
|Edward3340||08/01/2016 12:31:32 - Caroline||696||3|
Sharps Doom Bar Merlin Rocket Week 2016
|Salcombe Yacht Clube||06/01/2016 19:28:42 - Banjo||3053||19|
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 >16< 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115